The Smoothest Buttercream Frosting
This frosting is the perfect balance of butter and sugar, creating a buttercream that can be used on anything from cakes and cookies to fillings. Everyone will be coming back for seconds!
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 2-3 Tsp Vanilla
- 1-2 Tbsp Milk or water
Cream butter on medium high speed
Add powdered sugar and slowly incorporate with butter on low speed
Add vanilla, continue to mix on low
Add milk one tablespoon at a time, whipping on medium high speed, checking consistency before adding additional milk.
Scrap bowl and continue to whip on medium high until fully incorporated and fluffy, smooth consistency is reached.
Use immediately, or store in an airtight container or bag for up to a week in the refrigerator. If storing for later, let come to room temperature before using.
- I always recommend using a piping bag with your frosting. Use a pint glass to put your piping bag in to fill with buttercream, and a bag clip to seal the end of the piping bag, for a mess free frosting experience!
- Try adding lemon, orange, or lime zest to the frosting for a fresh twist in flavor!
- Add finely crushed candy canes and top a chocolate cupcake with it for a peppermint hot chocolate cupcake!
- How about adding a tablespoon of instant coffee for a decadent tiramisu cake?
- Get creative with your flavors, if you are adding a dry ingredient, it won't affect the composition of the frosting. If you are adding a wet ingredient for flavor, replace the milk or vanilla with it so that it doesn't water down your frosting too much.