This homemade apple crisp will take you back to your childhood. Old fashioned apple crisp with an oatmeal topping, just like grandma used to make! Top it off with your favorite vanilla ice cream and you will be in heaven!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE APPLE CRISP
Fall is the time of year that apples are dropping and everyone is scrambling to get them all picked and processed before they go bad. Apple pie, apple cider, apple sauce, apple donuts, apple everything! But the fastest and best way to curb those sweet apple cravings is this easy, delicious apple crisp. It can be tossed together in 20 minutes, ready to eat in a little over an hour and is the perfect combination between sweet and tart.
INGREDIENTS FOR OLD FASHIONED APPLE CRISP
- 6-7 cups apples, peeled and sliced. About 4 large apples.
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup old fashioned oatmeal (any type of oatmeal will work. I prefer old fashioned oats)
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup white sugar
- 1/2 Tsp salt, omit salt if you are using salted butter.
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed (2 sticks)
Crisp is always my go-to dessert when it comes to a fast, easy, dessert that can be used with any seasonal fruit. You can use this recipe with any fruit you have. If you are using berries, I would suggest adding slightly more sugar to the filling to offset the tart that berries generally have.
THE STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO MAKING OLD FASHIONED OATMEAL APPLE CRISP
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
The first thing you will need to do is peel, core, and slice your apples. After that, add your lemon juice and stir to combine.
Next, you will need to add the brown sugar, white sugar, and cinnamon to your apples, stirring to combine.
- Depending on the variety of apples you use, you can alter the sugar. I used Jonagolds for this recipe because that is what was in season. I prefer a more firm, tart apple such as Jonagold, Gravenstine, or Granny Smith. However, if you only have access to a sweeter variety you can just decrease the amount of sugar.
After combining all of the filling ingredients, you will need to butter a 9×9 casserole dish or pie pan.
Pour filling into buttered dish.
You will now need to make your crisp topping, which really makes the whole thing irresistible!
Start by mixing all of your topping ingredients, except the butter, in a medium mixing bowl.
After combining dry ingredients, cube your butter and add it to dry ingredients.
- Using a pastry cutter, mince butter into dry ingredients. You may also need to use your hands to crumble the butter into fine pieces. Cubing the butter first expedites this process. It is okay if there are a few larger cubes mixed in, however most of the butter should be fairly fine and the topping will appear crumbley.
Next, you will need to sprinkle the topping onto your apple filling. Spread crisp topping evenly, covering as much of the top of the apples as possible.
Place your crisp on the middle rack of your preheated oven. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes and then increase temperature to 425 for 15 more minutes, or until the top of your crisp is browned, crisp, and bubbling around the edges.
APPLE CRISP RECIPE VARIATIONS
- Top with your favorite vanilla ice cream for an even more delectable experience!
- You can vary the sugar in your filling depending on the variety of apples you are using. Less sugar for a sweeter apple, and follow the recipe for a more tart, baking apple.
- Try making this with other kinds of seasonal fruits too! Berries, strawberry rhubarb, or fresh peaches are delicious as well. Add a 2 tablespoons of flour to filling if using berries in your crisp.
Old Fashioned Oatmeal Apple Crisp
- Two medium mixing bowls
- measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Pastry cutter (or you can use your hands, two forks, or two butter knives)
- 9×9 casserole dish or pie pan
- Paring knife
- cutting board
- 6-7 Cups Apples Peeled, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar lightly packed
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose flour
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar lightly packed
- 1/4 Cup White sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter Cold, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees
- Peel and slice apples.
- Add lemon juice to apples and mix to combine.
- Add the rest of the filling ingredients to the apples, stir to combine.
- Butter a 9×9 casserole dish or pie pan.
- Add filling to pan.
- Combine all crisp topping ingredients except butter in a medium mixing bowl
- Cube cold, unsalted butter.
- Add butter cubes to the dry crisp topping ingredients.
- Using a pastry cutter, or alternative utensils, cut butter into dry ingredients until finely incorporated into a crumble.
- Pour crisp topping evenly over apples filling.
- Bake at 375 for 35 minutes
- Increase oven to 425 degrees and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until topping is browned, crisp, and edges of crisp are bubbling.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with warm with your favorite vanilla ice cream
- Serve warm with your favorite vanilla ice cream.
- Mix it up and try crisp with a different seasonal fruit!