This recipe makes creating a delicious Hawaiian inspired meal easy, with my Crockpot Hawaiian Lemon Chicken. Taking the flavors of Hawaii and putting it into a crockpot for a make-ahead dinner everyone will love.
INGREDIENTS FOR HAWAIIAN LEMON CHICKEN
- 3-4 lb chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive or avocado oil
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp rice vinegar (optional)
Serve with my family’s favorite Coconut white Rice and a side of steamed or sauteed mixed vegetables of your choice and it is the perfect meal!
STEP-BY-STEP DIRECTIONS FOR CROCKPOT HAWAIIAN LEMON CHICKEN
One of the best parts about this recipe is that you can throw the chicken and the marinade in the crockpot, and leave it! There is little mess, and comes out delicious!
The first thing you need to do to make the chicken is really the only thing!
Add all of the marinade ingredients in a measuring cup and whisk to combine.
- Tip for keeping fresh ginger longer: Peel and freeze ginger in a freezer safe bag for future recipes. This also makes grating the ginger much easier!
Next, add your chicken to your crockpot (trimming any big pieces of fat off of the thighs and checking to make sure that there are no bone fragments on them), and pour on that delicious marinade/sauce!
Place a lid over your crock pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6 hours, until chicken is fork tender and shreds easily. If you are able to, turn chicken over halfway through cooking.
Once the chicken is cooked, shred and mix into the sauce, adding the cornstarch slurry (1 Tbsp corn starch and 1 Tbsp cold water mixed together until smooth) to the sauce, stirring to combine. continue cooking on high for 3-5 more minutes so the sauce thickens slightly.
Turn onto the warm setting while you are the cooking rice, and vegetables.
We love pairing our chicken with Coconut White Rice and some simple stir fried or steamed mixed vegetables.
VARIATIONS TO THIS RECIPE
- Try adding diced pineapple for a sweeter twist!
- Pair with my Easy Coconut White Rice.
- Use my sauce recipe as a marinade for a delectable barbecued chicken!
Crockpot Hawaiian Lemon Chicken
- 3-4 Lb Chicken Thighs You can also use chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp Corn starch optional
- 1/4 Cup Avocado or olive oil
- 1/3 Cup Lemon juice plus 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 Cup Soy sauce plus 2 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp Sugar This can be omitted to make it keto
- 5 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Fresh ginger grated
- 1/4 Tsp Black pepper ground
- 1/4 Tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1 Tsp Rice vinegar
- Combine all sauce ingredients.
- Place trimmed chicken into crockpot
- Add the sauce to the chicken
- Rotate to coat all side of the chicken with the sauce
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours, or until fork tender.
- Shred chicken, stir in cornstarch slurry (1 Tbsp and 1 Tbsp water combined, then added to sauce). The Cornstarch is optional, if you don't have it or prefer a thin sauce, don't worry about it!
- Cook on high an additional 3-5 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened. Turn down to low.
- Serve with rice and steamed or sauteed mixed vegetables!
- This is also yummy with hawaiian style mac salad!
- Serve with Coconut White Rice and mixed vegetables.
- If you are looking for a keto alternative, omit the sugar from the recipe and serve with mixed vegetables and cauliflower rice instead of white rice!
- Feel free to omit the cornstarch if you prefer a thinner sauce or don’t have any. It is delicious either way!